Friday, December 20, 2013

Another testgarment, wearable

Working on the muslins is good as it will hopefully result in one or more patterns that I can make to well fitting jackets.This week I was game for sewing something that I could actually wear. Not another jacket muslin.

When I sewed the MakeBra DL01 last October (bra with foam cups covered with lace) I wondered whether the pattern would work too without the foam but with non-stretch lace. As I made sure the foam did not stretch any more, it was logical  that this might be a good possibility. Foam doesn’t take that much space in the cup. So here’s my wearable testgarment from a remnant piece of lace and firm lycra that was a gift from my sewing friend Hilde (thank you again!).

BTW, there is a lovely bra from this pattern on the MakeBra site now in white: here.

The lace I used was not symmetrical and I tried matching the center piece of the flowers. What I did not see until after construction of the cups is that I should have matched the scallops of the lace better. Now the left side has less scallop points because of the way the seam intersects. The center front has one side with point of the scallop, one side without. It’s the sort of things that bug me a little, it won’t keep me from wearing it. I’m the only one to notice it anyway.

If you have read my blog for a while you will know that I sew bra’s very regularly, and this time the wire chanelling was driving me nuts. I topstitched 4 times (!!!) and had to unpick because the wire couldn’t pass through. This happens sometimes, it will look perfect on the outside, but on the inside the chanelling has shifted and is too narrow. But as far as I can remember I have never done it four times. A little miracle I did not make a hole in the lycra using my seam ripper. My eyes did not like it, that’s for sure. Unpicking black in the evening :(

The result is very satisfactory and fits well. A very wearable muslin.

11 comments:

  1. that is really pretty - I bet you went mad unpicking I know I would

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love it! Much better result than my bra, I think I made a mistake with my adjustment so there is too much lace. I'll try putting a dart in to solve the problem, but I think the fit isn't great anyway (although I did solve the east-west thing). I still need to completely finish it to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Picking out threads I know must have been hard but as all of your bras are, its so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely test garment, your bras are always exquisite, even the muslin versions it seems!

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea to try without padding and a lovely result might try that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty bra! Worth all that unpicking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ik vind je test bh's en jasjes altijd al zo mooi, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope my next test bra is a wonderful as yours.

    ReplyDelete